[PW] Pierre Charles Villeneuve bio

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 23 14:14:30 PDT 2018

On 17 Sep 2018 at 23:40, Michael Strahan wrote:

> I have an English grad student beginning to research her thesis about Vice
> Admiral Pierre Charles Villeneuve.
>
> Specifically, she is seeking biographical information.

I note that the French and English Wikipedia entries are almost identical, with not much in the
way of biographical sources.

I don'f have a copy at hand, but shortly after its appearance (1959 in the UK and 1960 in the
US), I read Dudley Pope's "Decision at Trafalgar" ("England Expects" is Brit title) and was
very impressed with the research, background presentation, etc. (But then I was young and
more easily impressed.)  It is in print and easy to find, so I would check it for footnotes
pointing to sources on Villeneuve.  Villeneuve's name as a tragic character has stuck with me
all these decades from reading that book, which is why I think there might be something
useful in there.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)