[PW] ?Margaret Miles

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 17 18:48:06 PDT 2018

Hi John,  Welcome back to the real world, the one without guillemets.

> A friend is a fan of the Bracebridge Mysteries series written by
> Margaret Miles.

> or perhaps the author is or was just very good at
> remaining anonymous.

It would seem so.  Best bet is to contact her publisher, Random House, but they, too, are
likely to reveal nothing on the author's instructions.  The RH page for Margaret Miles only lists
her works, so she is not interested in promoting herself.  That, in turn, could result in slumped
sales, leading to publisher's decision to kill the series.   The RH page is not archived (at least
not the current url) at waybackmachine, so we can't see if there used to be more info.

She is not promoting herself on Facebook either, but her last book was before that became
almost obligatory.

FWIW, nothing biographical in:
Contemporary Authors
Something About the Author
LCNA
accessnewspapers
Newsbank

The guys at mysteryfile.com say, "As for the author herself, "Margaret Miles" is too common
a name to do much research on. Al Hubin has no information about her, and neither do I. As
for the series of four novels, I have not read the 3rd nor the 4th, so I also cannot tell you
whether all of the loose ends were tied up before the series ended, presumably caused by
the usual insufficient (and falling) sales."

The books are set in Mass, so there is a good chance the author lives there and writes what
she knows.   Unfortunately there are 30 of her name in Mass whitepages.com.

Oh, wait,  I found something.  margaretmiles.com was active 2001-2004, several page
snapshots at archive.com.  Site went blank in 2005,  expired 5 may 2007, now for sale.  Site
includes a short bio:  "early babyboomer," grew up in Ohio, lived in 30 cities, history degree at
UC Berkeley, tinkered at mystery novels for 20 yrs, many rejections before first Bracebridge
book published.

The launch of her website interestingly coincides with the publication of her last book, so it
would seem that she had dreams of continuing the series.  And then something happened?
Careful study of different snaps of the site over time may reveal something.  Site includes
reader comments begging for news, but no answers from the author (as far as I can see in a
quick browse.)

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)