[PW] How many Americans did George Whitefield preach to

Charles Early charles.early at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:33:14 PDT 2018

Whitefield preached in both Britain and America. 18,000 sermons to 10
million people means average audiences of over 500.  The total population
of America was just under 4 million in the 1790 Census, and that of Great
Britain was just over 10 million in the 1801 Census (Wikipedia).
Presumably both populations were smaller during Whitefield's lifetime.  I
don't know how you could determine how many of the 10 million were Britons
and how many Americans, or how many listened to more than one sermon and
were counted twice.