[PW] Peanuts quotation

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 13:34:35 PST 2018

Hi All--
As Dennis suggested, I checked the index of The Complete Peanuts, 1961-1962
for "art," and the last entry was p 305.  The strip exactly matches what
ADSGarson O'Toole found in the Greenville News for 12 December 1962.

We have all the volumes (including the Sunday strips volumes so far, which
are printed larger and in color), but they belong to my wife, not me. ;-)

Metta,
Ivan

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to John Henderson, John Cowan, and Dennis Lien. Following John
> Cowan's lead I located a Peanuts comic strip published in multiple
> newspapers on December 12, 1962. The wording differs a bit from the
> internet text version found by John.
>
> Here is the text from the final two panels of the four panel strip.
>
> Panel 3: (Linus) NO ARTISTIC VALUE?
>    I WORKED FOR FORTY-FIVE MINUTES DRAWING THAT HORSE
>
> Panel 4: (Lucy) A TRUE WORK OF ART TAKES AT LEAST AN HOUR!
>
> Here is a link to a PDF showing the strip, newspaper name, and date.
> https://www.newspapers.com/clip/16882718/trueart/
>
> Garson
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 2:38 PM, John Henderson <jrhenderson9 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > A line from a Peanuts strip is misremembered, so an accurate quotation
> >> and the date of the strip when it first appeared would be greatly
> >> appreciated by a colleague of mine.
> >>
> >> Linus and Lucy are discussing artwork, and one or the other makes the
> >> claim that it isn't art unless it takes at least 45 minutes to
> >> complete.
> >>

> > I haven't found the strip, but there are at least two web pages that
> claim
> > that Lucy asks Linus how long it took him to make his crayon drawing.  He
> > replies "45 minutes", and Lucy trumps him with "Great art takes at least
> an
> > hour!"
> >
> > Here are the hits:
> >
> > <http://thatkeith.com/articles/design-a-new-character-for-a-typeface>
> >
> > <https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/feedback-gamers-and-artists>
> (in
> > a comment)
> >
> > --
> > John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
> > You escaped them by the will-death and the Way of the Black Wheel.
> > I could not.  --Great-Souled Sam
> > Project Wombat - Project-wombat
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours