[PW] ? Quotes from Famous Short Stories (Quotation Query #792)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jan 25 18:08:01 PST 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:11 PM, Carolyn Haley <dcma at vermontel.net> wrote:

Hmm. I may need to read Lovecraft, for this paragraph makes my spine shiver
> and hair curl!

Go for it, it's one click away in "The Call of Cthulhu":

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.aspx

But when I was a novice Lovecraft reader, it's "The Colour out of Space"
that creeped me out the most:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cs.aspx

My signature below is the Arabic version of "That is not dead which can
eternal lie / And with strange eons even death may die."  The author's name
is correctly given here as Abdullah al-Hazred (which is عبدالله الحظرد in
Arabic script), rather than the ungrammatical form Abdul al-Hazred that
Lovecraft himself used; it means "the servant of (God) the Prohibited".
The book name is said to be an imitation of the buzzing noises of nocturnal
insects; in European languages it is usually called the Necronomicon ("Book
of Dead Names" in Greek).

La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi.
                --Abdullah al-Hazred, Al-`Azif