[PW] Origins of "Greed Is Good" (Quotation Query #793)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Jan 19 11:41:49 PST 2018

On 1/19/2018 1:41 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> It seems that in the film "Wall Street," the Gordon Gekko character says "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," but in the trailer Gekko says "Greed is good," which is the way the saying is usually remembered.  Does anyone have any idea of how the pithier version made its way into the trailer?  Was the trailer scene taken from an earlier cut of the film?  Was "for lack of a better word" spliced out, a kind of concision that I think often happens in trailers where every second counts?

Based on what I saw when I was in radio, edits of songs (even short
songs) were always in demand by radio stations. The theory was people
had a short attention span and you wanted to grab their attention
quickly. Movie trailers have seemed to operate on that premise as well;
grab their attention and then they'll want to go see the actual film.
By the way, the "greed is good" shortened version of the quote became
such a catch phrase that it's featured on the cover of the 2007 20th
anniversary DVD.