[PW] What is the original source of the quote "a little from column A and a little from column B"?

Jen Wilson jemawi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:00:14 PST 2018

Thanks all for the great (and entertaining) answers. Clearly the menus in
Australian Chinese restaurants evolved somewhat differently to those in the
US - it's more common here just to see the combination options labelled as
"Banquet menus" and you select the requisite number of dishes from 'entree'
and 'main dishes' lists. Possibly why we were finding it difficult to
understand the connection between Aladdin and Chinese food...

Thanks again,
Jen

On 10 January 2018 at 16:08, Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:

> On 1/9/2018 11:20 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
>
>> Thanks to John Cowan, John Baker, and Dana Dalrymple for their
>> Chinese restaurant menu in 1958 that was mentioned by popular
>> columnist Earl Wilson. A couple years earlier another columnist
>> ascribed the quip to Borscht Belt comic Buddy Hackett:
>>

> For what it's worth, I find a 1959 cartoon by Arnold Roth, "Poor Arnold's
> Almanac" (Oakland Tribune, 12 July 1959) in which he uses the phrase "one
> from column A and one from column B" to discuss how ice cream flavors
> evolved and became popular; he has various characters from history,
> beginning with Nero, who supposedly are fans of ice cream. For example,
> Nero likes snow, flavored with fruit juice. Next, a colonial version of
> Howard Johnson imagines 28 flavors of snow.  But Marco Polo has a
> breakthrough-- he brings back some variations on flavors of ice cream after
> he visits China-- chocolate, vanilla, wonton and egg roll flavors, and
> people can pick one from column A and one from column B.  So, evidently by
> 1959, this phrase was well-known in popular culture.

*"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
Dorothy Parker*