[PW] ? Quotes from Famous Short Stories (Quotation Query #792)

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Thu Jan 18 14:22:56 PST 2018

Garson asks about:

Year: September 1925.
Journal:  Weird Tales #24
Short Story: The Temple
Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Note: Excerpt is from version at hplovecraft.com. Metadata is from
Wikipedia entry on "The Temple". This information must be
independently verified.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/te.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_(Lovecraft_short_story)

[Begin excerpt]
But he was unmoved, and cried: "If I am mad, it is mercy! May the gods
pity the man who in his callousness can remain sane to the hideous
end!"
[End excerpt]

Verified, just as you have it, on p.333 of the September 1925 WT, per
my copy of the Girasol Press exact facsimile of the issue.

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu