[PW] ? Quotes from Famous Short Stories (Quotation Query #792)

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Thu Jan 18 10:21:11 PST 2018

Garson also asked about
Periodical: Star Science Fiction Stories No. 1
Short Story: The Nine Billion Names of God
Author: Arthur C. Clarke
Note: I haven't verified this with hardcopy. This data is from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God

[Begin excerpt]
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.
[End excerpt]

***************
STAR was a original anthology (book) series, not a periodical in the
usual sense.  Frederik Pohl was the editor and Ballantine Books the
publisher.  In its early days, they published hc and mass market pb
editions of their works at the same time (and I assume from the same
plates), so either should work for verifying first appearance.

However, my copy is of the third printing of the pb, from July 1961.
According to the copyright information inside, the first printing was
February 1953 and official publication date was March 1953.

I'm morally certain that no changes were made between the first and
third (or later) printings, except in the case of the anthology title
-- the "#1" was a later addition; it was originally just STAR SCIENCE
FICTION STORIES

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?35067

but obviously it would be best to find a 1953 copy to be sure.  In my
1961 printing, the line is just as you have it: it's the last line of
the story, which in turn is the last story in the anthology, and it
appears on page 202.

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu