[PW] ? Quotes from Famous Short Stories (Quotation Query #792)

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Thu Jan 18 10:04:10 PST 2018

Garson suggested:
Date: December 1948
Short Story: Knock
Author: Fredric Brown
Periodical: Thrilling Wonder Stories
Note: I haven't verified this with hardcopy. This data is from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock_(short_story)

[Begin excerpt]
The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door...
[End excerpt]

*******************

Verified with my copy of the Dec 1948 TWS.  It's on page 138.  The
story opens with these words (the line between the quote marks is in
italics):

There is a sweet little horror that is only two sentences long:
"The last man on earth sat alone in a room.  There was a knock on the
door. . . . "

Note the four dots (ellipsis plus period ending sentence) following word door.

But while Brown was indeed responsible for the wording here, and it's
that wording that has become fairly famous, he was indeed adapting an
earlier short-short item by other hands.  I'll have more to post on
this as soon as I dig up and organize some of my notes.  More later...

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu