[PW] ? Quotes from Famous Short Stories (Quotation Query #792)

John Henderson jrhenderson9 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 14:55:03 PST 2018

Here are ten suggestions. I've checked against the first edition of
the Yale Book and do not see any of them.

"You got the right to get mad," he interrupted softy. "You got the
right to cuss me four ways to Sunday, but I ain't lettign nobody call
me a nigger."
― Ann Petry, "Like a Winding Sheet," 1949

“Always remember that when a man goes out of the room, he leaves
everything in it behind... When a woman goes out she carries
everything that happened in the room along with her.”
― Alice Munro, "Too Much Happiness" not sure of original date. In "Too
Much Happiness: Stories," 2009

"For me, I was feeling something the same as when I left Amundsen, the
train carrying me still dazed and full of disbelief.
Nothing changes really about love."
― Alice Munro, "Amundsen" New Yorker, August 27, 2012

"Once you know there are transsexuals, you see them everywhere. Short,
pear-shaped men. Tall, knobby women. When you walk out of the waiting
room of the North American Gender Identity Clinic, everyone looks
peculiar. You flip through magazines and think, Hmmm, Leo DiCaprio?
There's something about him. Jamie Curtis? Look at those legs."
― Amy Bloom, "A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You" not sure of
original date. In "A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You," 2000

“This is a story, told the way you say stories should be told:
Somebody grew up, fell in love, and spent a winter with her lover in
the country. This, of course, is the barest outline, and futile to
discuss. It’s as pointless as throwing birdseed on the ground while
snow still falls fast. Who expects small things to survive when even
the largest get lost? People forget years and remember moments.
Seconds and symbols are left to sum things up: the black shroud over
the pool. Love, in its shortest form becomes a word.”
― Ann Beattie, "Snow" 1986

I could see that they were all very nervous, eyeing me up and down
distrustfully. As often, in such cases, they weren't telling me more
than they had to, it was up to me to tell them; that's why they were
spending three dollars on me.
― William Carlos Williams, "Use of Force" first published in Life
Along the Passaic River, 1938

 “Don't talk rot, Whitney," said Rainsford. "You're a big-game hunter,
not a philosopher. Who cares how a jaguar feels?”
― Richard Connell, "The Most Dangerous Game" first published in
Collier's on January 19, 1924

The way they’re going on about it in the magazines you’d think it was
just invented, and not only that but it’s something terrific, like a
vaccine for cancer. They put it in capital letters on the front cover,
and inside they have these questionnaires like the ones they used to
have about whether you were a good enough wife or an endomorph or an
ectomorph, remember that? with the scoring upside down on page 73, and
then these numbered do-it-yourself dealies, you know? RAPE, TEN THINGS
TO DO ABOUT IT, like it was ten new hairdos or something. I
mean,what’s so new about it?
― Margaret Atwood, "Rape Fantasies" first published in the Canadian
edition of Dancing Girls & Other Stories in 1977.

But Magda lived to walk. She lived that long, but she did not walk
very well, partly because she was only fifteen months old, and partly
because the spindles of her legs could not hold up her fat belly. It
was fat with air, full and round. Rosa gave almost all her food to
Magda, Stella gave nothing; Stella was ravenous, a growing child
herself, but not growing much. Stella did not menstruate. Rosa did not
menstruate. Rosa was ravenous, but also not; she learned from Magda
how to drink the taste of a finger in one’s mouth. They were in a
place without pity, all pity was annihilated in Rosa, she looked at
Stella’s bones without pity. She was sure that Stella was waiting for
Magda to die so she could put her teeth into the little thighs.
― Cynthia Ozick, "The Shawl" first published in the New Yorker, May 26, 1980

She let him reach the doorknob before she said, "You're seeing someone."
He stopped and faced her, thankful and relieved that she had said it
first. "I meant to tell you," he said. "I didn't know how."
"You cowardly piece of shit."
"It's nothing serious," he said. "It's just an obsession."
― May Gaitskill, "Daisy's Valentine," in Bad Behavior: Stories, 1988.

John Henderson
Ithaca College Library