[PW] Which entertainer first juggled chainsaws?

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:52:54 PST 2018

Here are some matches from a quick incomplete search.

The phrase "juggling chainsaws" was employed in a simile circa 1978.
This may have simply been a hypothetical dangerous activity, or it may
have been an entertainment act of which the writer was aware.

Year: 1978
Periodical: Analog Science Fiction/science Fact
Quote Page 153
Database: Google Books Snippet; data must be verified with hardcopy;
search for "1978" reveals that the volume does contain issues from
1978

[Begin excerpt]
Chatting with Chen was like juggling chainsaws. I sighed. We were
being honest. "Yeah — if he got a chance to pull it off, sure. But
that'd take some doing."
[End excerpt]

A theater critic in March 1981 stated that promotional material for
the juggling act "The Flying Karamazov Brothers" mentioned "chainsaws
and cats". Perhaps the Brothers were challenged by an audience member
who brought a chainsaw? Perhaps they juggled a plush toy cat?