[PW] Which entertainer first juggled chainsaws?

Bill Davis wmadavis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 05:55:55 PST 2018

The Pantagraph
Bloomington, Illinois
Friday, February 23, 1996
Page: Page 12

"Whenever visiting sunny Los Angeles and environs, we always have to
make at least several trips westward to that oceanfront human geek
show known as the Venice Beach Boardwalk, where anything and
everything goes. And goes. And goes. Amid the flotsam and jetsam of
L.A. humanity that congregates there en masse (or, more accurately,
en mess), our personal favorite is the Boardwalk's infamous chainsaw
juggler who offers precisely the kind of exotic entertainment so hard
to come by in the wilds of Central Illinois. At least until next
week. That's when Venice boardwalk alum Chad Taylor will bring his
chainsaws to Bradley University's Robertson Memorial Fieldhouse in
Peoria for a free show (10 p.m. Thursday). Taylor began his career
juggling chainsaws along Venice Beach, parlaying that notoriety into
a comedy club and college entertainment circuit act dubbed "Chainsaws
of Death." It has been featured on television on "The Tonight Show,"
"An Evening at the Improv" and "America's Funniest People." On film,
Taylor's saws were seen in Billy Crystal's "Mr. Saturday Night" The
buzz, we can assure you, is good."

At 07:34 AM 1/10/2018, you wrote:
>Several decades ago, when I routinely watched TV (1980s, or the '90s
>at the latest), I saw an act where a guy juggled a bizarre
>collection of different things at the same time, including a
>chainsaw. This was probably a first for television but not among
>professional jugglers.
>
>My aging memory cannot recall who, when, and what, so I've been
>trying to find it online. I first thought the performer was the
>comedian Gallagher, but I can find no reference that he ever used a saw.
>
>Does anyone remember this event, or can help me track it down?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>--Carolyn

>Carolyn Haley
>DocuMania
>Production support for writers, editors, and designers
>www.documania.us
>Member Editorial Freelancers Association
>Project Wombat - Project-wombat
>list at project-wombat.org
>http://www.project-wombat.org/

---