[PW] What is the original source of the quote "a little from column A and a little from column B"?

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jan 9 16:17:10 PST 2018

That was what I thought as well, and the theory is supported by Wiktionary, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/a_little_from_column_A,_a_little_from_column_B.

John Baker

From: Project-wombat [mailto:project-wombat-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org] On Behalf Of John Cowan
Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:15 PM
To: list at project-wombat.org
Subject: Re: [PW] What is the original source of the quote "a little from column A and a little from column B"?

The form I know is "one from column A and two from column B", and refers to
the menus in Chinese restaurants, where for a fixed price you get to make a
choice of this kind; presumably column A would contain main dishes and
column B would contain appetizers. If this is right, attempting to find a
specific source would be hopeless.