[PW] What is the original source of the quote "a little from column A and a little from column B"?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jan 9 16:14:38 PST 2018

The form I know is "one from column A and two from column B", and refers to
the menus in Chinese restaurants, where for a fixed price you get to make a
choice of this kind; presumably column A would contain main dishes and
column B would contain appetizers.  If this is right, attempting to find a
specific source would be hopeless.