[PW] ?Flour Sack Derby Car Race?

Sam Shipley sams at dcpl.info
Fri Feb 23 14:50:56 PST 2018

Hello,

I recently had a patron ask if I could find some information about a car race called "The Flour Sack Derby."

She knew very little about it.  An older acquaintance had told her about such a race held many years ago.
Evidently the contestants would race to an initial point at which they would receive directions or clues to
the next point on the itinerary.  The gimmick was that these clues were to be found inside of a sack of flour
at each of the locales on the route.  The flour sack was opened and emptied, I guess by the first driver to reach each
spot, and the clue was found inside the flour sack.  Then it was on to the place indicated by each respective clue.
The first car to make it to the finish line after following all the clues was the winner.  It's really kind of sketchy.
I'm assuming the flour sacks and clues were left behind for the other contestants by the drivers reaching them first.
I don't really know the details.

Anyone out there happen to have any information about such a car race or races?

Thank you,

Sam Shipley
Reference Librarian
Dodge City Public Library