[PW] Two Questions About the Biography of Algernon Blackwood

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Mon Feb 19 11:11:44 PST 2018

Great thanks to Katherine Harper for that clipping.  Mike had earlier
considered the possibility that Blackwood's memory was at fault and
that the work in question was actually the DARTMOOR play, but the
clipping she supplied provided new information which makes that
possibility much stronger.  Mike is now hoping to find either text of
the DARTMOOR play or a review detailed enough to indicate if it
includes a prison escape scene in which the lead character "grapples
with a prison warder" (the latter being the bit part Blackwood
recalled playing).

Harvard has a typescript of DARTMOOR (under its variant title of DICK
VENABLES) copy, but it doesn't seem to have been formally published
anywhere (unless it's in a periodical or part of an anthology volume),
though the British Library has a collection of works by the author
(Arthur Law) which will be checked on.

The game's afoot...

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu