[PW] ? Rothschild Quote (Quotation Query #795)

Dennis Cunniff dcunniff at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 18 01:13:47 PST 2018

On Feb 17, 2018, at 7:28 PM, T.F. Mills <phasco at earthlink.net> wrote:

> That would be Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836), 1st Baron Rothschild (a British title).

He was a baron, but not a British one.

Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) was created a hereditary baron by Austrian Emperor Franz I.

Specifically, he was ennobled 25 September 1816, diploma 25 May 1817 at Vienna.
He was subsequently created Baron von Rothschild 29 September 1822 at Vienna.

He did not have any British titles.

It was his grandson, Sir Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1840-1915) who first inherited (in 1879) the baronetcy created (with special remainder failing heirs male of his body to his elder brother Lionel’s sons) for his uncle Anthony and secondly was created the first Jewish peer in the peerage of the United Kingdom (Lord Rothschild, of Tring) on 29 June 1885.

It gets confusing as various members of the family had Austrian titles, others U.K. titles, and obtained the necessary permissions to use the Austrian titles in Britain. The father of Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1840-1915), Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (1807-1879) was allowed, with other heirs male of the body of the grantee, by Royal License of 16 June 1838, to use the Austrian title of Baron in the U.K.

- Dennis J. Cunniff.