[PW] Zuni ring design

Bristol Library bplref at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 13:46:36 PDT 2018

The center one looks like a rising/setting sun to me as well. The suns all
have a division line in the upper half as this one does, then meets a
horizontal line. The ones on the side look a bit like an elongated version
maze symbol that I see on the sides of bracelets with the Man in the Maze
motif.  There is an example here:
https://www.horsekeeping.com/jewelry/info/man-maze.htm
Not an expert, by any means!

Jeanne

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 4:19 PM GraceAnne Andreassi DeCandido <
graceanneladyhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> These designs in Zuni jewelry are never just designs. They always have
> symbolism and meaning. What they represent is not always obvious. I am
> trying to track down specifically what they represent.
>
> GraceAnne
> GraceAnne Andreassi DeCandido in New York City
> graceanneladyhawk at gmail.com ladyhawk at well.com
> https://girasoleazzurra.com/*
> A word after a word after a word is power*. "Spelling" Margaret Atwood
>

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 3:57 PM Karen Lofstrom <klofstrom at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Re GraceAnne Andreassi DeCandido <graceanneladyhawk at gmail.com> request
> for
> > input on a ring design:
> >
> > The central motif is just a sun. I'm not sure that one has to attach any
> > meaning to it. It's obvious, yes?
> > The flanking triangles look to me as if they are there simply for
> aesthetic
> > reasons, to frame the sun motif. Which they do nicely.
> >
> > --
> > Karen Lofstrom
> > not at all an expert in Zuni symbolism, obviously
> > Project Wombat - Project-wombat
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/

Bristol Public Library