[PW] ?Ten minutes in the life of a pear

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 00:06:05 PDT 2018

John Henderson wrote:
> Great. Just the information I needed. It’s the beginning of pear picking
> season in these parts and I’ve seen that quotation a lot,

Glad that the citations were helpful to you, John.  I do not know what
text biographer John McAleer saw that caused him to speculate about
the thoughts of Emerson on pears.

University of Michigan has a webpage for the "Complete Works of Ralph
Waldo Emerson" that contains a stable URL pointing to a searchable
database:

https://www.lib.umich.edu/database/complete-works-ralph-waldo-emerson
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/emerson/

I executed a variety of queries, but was unable to find a germane
remark about the transient ripeness of pears.

I did find a passage about Emerson's passion for his pear orchard:

Title: The complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson: English traits [Vol. 5]
Author:  Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882.
Publication info: Boston ; New York : : Houghton, Mifflin, [1903-1904].

[Begin excerpt]
Page 49, note 2.
. . .
Mr. Emerson took great interest in his pear orchard, which he set out
soon after settling in Concord, and every morning in good weather,
before going to his study, visited, to prune, watch for caterpillars
and borers, or gather the fruit. He had Downing's book on Fruits. A
few pages in this gave him especial pleasure; namely, the account of
the theory and successful experiments in the amelioration of fruits,
by Dr. Van Mons, professor at Louvain in the Netherlands. All through
Mr. Emerson's works crop out allusions to this hopeful theory of
Amelioration, to him symbolic.
[End excerpt]

Since the 1913 citation (posted in the previous message) attributed
the saying to a Frenchman I looked for some instances in French, but
during a quick search I only found modern instances. The first
citation below is derived from the English expression.

Year: 2005 (French translation 2007 copyright)
Book: Leadership 360°
Quote Page 162