[PW] Embassy Pictures Incorporation Date

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Aug 8 08:43:44 PDT 2018

On 8/7/2018 1:11 PM, Bristol Library wrote:
> I have a patron who wants to know the earliest date for incorporation of
> Embassy Pictures.  He thought it was in New York and I did find one there,
> but it was a later date-- I don't remember now what it was.

Complicating this problem is the fact that there were several ventures
called "Embassy Pictures." I find this mention in Variety magazine, 4
September 1940, for example: "Al Christie, veteran director, has
launched a commercial picture producing enterprise under the name of
Embassy Pictures in New York."  But I find other ventures referred to as
"Embassy Pictures" as early as 1925.  For example, the Trenton (NJ)
Evening Times notes on 17 March 1925 that "The new $10,000,000
corporation Embassy Pictures of New York is to center production
activities in Southern California... Prominent independent movie leaders
are in the directorate."  Another newspaper article from several days
later says the studio was headed by Arthur F. Beck: that article, in the
Tacoma (WA) Daily News of 29 May 1925 offers many more details about the
new company, if you want a copy of it.  I hope this helps!

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies