[PW] old tree poem (thread)?

Allen Koenigsberg allenamet at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 13:13:45 PDT 2018

Hi,

   Can it be almost ten years since I posed a question about the source of an old poem about (types of) trees?

e.g.   "What's the social tree/ and the dancing tree, etc." I had found a version copied by Thomas Edison in 1902. (he used 18, but there are other versions with 24 and 49 tree questions).

  The answers were of two types,1)  word play on the actual names of the trees, and 2) puns on the endings of the answers, as in the suffix "-try".

  Can anyone direct me to the original thread? Thanks to some newspaper databases, I have traced the oldest version of the poem back to 1885 (with straight-forward answers), but the author is unknown.
I do not know when the '-try' version of answers first appeared.

  Maybe the old Thread will jog my memory!

TIA.

Allen

Allen Koenigsberg
allenamet at aol.com