[PW] quick legal question

brian whatcott betwys1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 29 07:30:11 PDT 2017

On 3/29/2017 2:18 AM, Donna Halper wrote:
> On 3/29/2017 2:46 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
>> A webpage on the Massachusetts Government website states that there
>> are accommodations for individuals taking the High School Equivalency
>> Test who have Intellectual disabilities. Accommodations listed on the
>> webpage include extended time and recorded material.
>
> Yes, when she took the test, she did get extra time, but she still
> couldn't pass the math portion, although she came really close.
> Somehow it just seems wrong to me to penalize kids who did the best
> they could but due to their disability, there are some things they
> just can't do.  Thanks for looking!

Should there be accommodation for pilots who just cannot distinguish red
and green, though they try as hard as they can? Which takes us to that
argumentative territory discussing the purpose of tests: is their
purpose demonstrating capability, or is it to demonstrate whole-hearted
application to the task?

Brian W