[PW] Request Yankee magazine 1980 - Help with Quote: History (or War) is the unfolding of miscalculations. Barbara Tuchman

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Mar 1 20:02:00 PST 2017

On 3/1/2017 3:43 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
>   I believe that Tuchman actually wrote: "History is the unfolding of
> miscalculations". This statement appeared in the 2001 Grove Press
> edition of "Stilwell and the American Experience in China", and I plan
> to check the original 1970 edition shortly.

And you are not the only one to believe that.  I found an article in the
Jerusalem Post, 10 September 2003, p. 7; by Michael Freund, "Oslo:
September 13, 1993-- The Victims."  In it, he quotes what you did, in a
discussion of missed opportunities in the middle east.  here's the
paragraph with the quote:   "History," the late historian Barbara
Tuchman once said, "is the unfolding of miscalculation." She might as
well have been referring to Israel's dealings with the PLO. Although the
Palestinians never lived up to their part of the bargain, Israel
persisted in signing agreements with them. There was the 1994 Cairo
Agreement, the 1995 Oslo 2 Accords, the 1997 Hebron deal and the 1998
Wye agreement..." Interestingly, this is one of the only quotes to do it
your way-- every other time I find the quote, it's "war" rather than
"history"-- but clearly, someone saw the actual quote or Mr. Freund
would not have stated it that way.