[PW] ? Pogo Quote (Quotation Query #765)

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Sat Feb 18 11:33:49 PST 2017

On 2017-2-15 19:12, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> One of the best-known quotations from the comic strip "Pogo" was
> "Don't take life so serious, son -- it ain't nohow permanent."  I am
> trying to trace the date of the first "Pogo" installment to include
> this quote.  When I search Newspapers.com, I come up with an
> appearance of these words in the Long Beach Independent, June 24,
> 1950.  Can anyone confirm or disconfirm whether that was the first
> appearance?

A couple of responses cite the first of many collections of Pogo strips
in book form, mentioning that the book does not show the strip's
original date.  But the more recent Fantagraphics reprint does show the
dates, and it is indeed June 24.

(Fantagraphics is currently making its third attempt, if memory serves,
to publish the complete run; this time it includes Sunday strips, in
color.  Each volume covers two years.  Volume 4 is scheduled for October.)

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org