[PW] the non-panhandle part of the state is called what?

Patsy Price beyondwords at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 17 13:04:44 PST 2017

Anne asked:
>When a state has a panhandle, what is the part of the state that's not the
>panhandle called?  Is there a word for it?

My mother worked in the Oklahoma Panhandle for a while during Dust
Bowl days. I was born & raised in northeastern Oklahoma
(Bartlesville). I don't remember ever hearing a term to describe the
non-panhandle part of Oklahoma except "the rest of the state" or "the
other 74 counties."

I'm not sure when I learned that states other than Oklahoma and Texas
had panhandles. But only my state actually looked like a pan with a
handle!

In a Google search I found this at http://newsok.com/article/2154785:
>The former publisher of a newspaper in a tiny slice of northwestern
>Oklahoma cavalierly dismisses the non-panhandle bulk of the state as
>"southeastern Oklahoma."

;-)

Patsy