[PW] ? Pogo Quote (Quotation Query #765)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:22:22 PST 2017

S M Colowick wrote:
> I actually have this book and can confirm that the quote does appear
> on page 122. No date appears in the drawing.

Thanks for your response, S. M. Colowick. The collection you have is,
I suspect, chronological, so we can double-check the sequence. (Pogo
did reprint comic strips on occasion.)

The last panel of the previous day's comic dated "6-23" shows a dog
running with a party favor in its mouth and a mouse smoking a cigar.
(This comic appeared in "The Pittsburgh Press" in newspapers.com.):

[Begin panel text]
WOULDN'T MIND FINDIN' HIM MYSELF -- YOU AN' ME WOULD BE EATIN' HIGH ON
THE HOG, KID.
[End panel text]

Does this panel appear before the target comic strip in your collection?

The next comic on June 25, 1950 is a Sunday comic (which may be a
special case). The first panel shows Pogo talking to Albert
Alligator.(This information is from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.)

[Begin panel text]
FIRST THING US OUGHT TO DO WITH OWL, WHO GOT A OVERDOSE OF FOUNTAIN OF
YOUTH, IS HATCH HIM OUTEN THIS EGG HE SLID BACK INTO.
[End panel text]

Regarding the target comic: The date "6-24" is written in the lower
left corner of the first panel of the June 24, 1950 Pogo comic
published in the Long Beach Independent. In addition, the bottom of
the first panel has a copyright notice" "Copr. 1950, Post-Hall
Syndicate, Inc.". Both of these notations are within the first panel
border.

Garson