[PW] Story about Klipsch shirt arrest in Arkansas in Playboy magazine ca 1977

Lesley K klesleyk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:56:12 PDT 2016

Would a scan of the article from the Arkansas Gazette help?  I can look up
that citation tomorrow at work.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a searchable archive of Playboy page scans available at the
> following link:
>
> http://archive.iplayboy.com/
>
> A search for "Klipsch" yields 25 matches.
> "Klipsch Arkansas" yields 0 matches.
> "Klipsch BS" yields 0 matches.
> "Klipsch bullshit" yields 0 matches.
>
> I cannot examine the page scans on the iplayboy website because I do
> not have a subscription. However, I believe that the search engine is
> reliable. A few months ago I used it to obtain a precise location for
> a quotation attributed to Picasso, and I was able to use that
> information to verify the citation via a library.
>
> Garson
>

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Bradley Scott
> <bradley.a.scott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One of my colleagues passed along the following query:
> >
> > "[Question]: I am a Reference Librarian and have been asked by a
> > patron to find an article that appeared probably in 1977 in Playboy
> > magazine. It concerns the man's arrest for wearing a tee-shirt with an
> > obscenity on it (the word "BS"), and occurred in Arkansas at a
> > festival associated with Klipsch speakers (music equipment company). I
> > see LC has an elusive volume titled "Moore's Indes to Playboy
> > magazine." Would someone be able to track this down and get me
> > bibliographic data for the article so I can do an ILL? Thanks."
> >
> > Unfortunately the website of the publisher of Moore's Index seems to
> > be partially defunct, and few if any libraries appear to hold the
> > title.  Does anyone on the PW list have this index covering the
> > relevant years, or know of another good index to Playboy articles from
> > the mid to late 1970s that could answer this query?  Or, perhaps, have
> > a collection of the magazines themselves that could be perused for
> > this information?
> >
> > I note that the Klipsch speaker company, which was started in Hope,
> > Arkansas, has reportedly used "BS" or "Bullshit" as an unofficial
> > company motto for many years and produced official company Tshirts
> > bearing this motto starting in 1975.  The company website has a page
> > about their use of this motto which mentions an unnamed University of
> > Arkansas student being kicked out of class for wearing one of their
> > shirts.  This may or may not be the event that my colleague was asked
> > about.  <www.klipsch.com/bs>
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be rendered.
> >
> > Bradley A. Scott
> > Project Wombat - Project-wombat
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/

-- Lesley Knieriem
   Rogers Public Library
   Rogers AR

Nunc adeamus bibliothecam, non illam quidem multis instructam libris, sed
exquisitis. -- Erasmus