[PW] Marx on how a worker will spend his day under communism

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 17:47:08 PDT 2016

On 22 May 2016 at 21:57, Solomons1pal at aol.com wrote:

>    Where does Marx describe how, under communism, a  worker will spend the
> first half of his day working, and the second half  philosophizing?  I
> thought it was the Manifesto, but I'm not finding it  there.

Theorien über den Mehrwert (Theories of Surplus-Value).  P. 303-304 in the 1910 Kautsky
German edition (heavily altered by Kautsky.)  It wasn't published in Marx's lifetime.  He
intended it as vol. 4 of Das Kapital.

BTW, that's not quite what Marx said.   In the then (1860s) prevailing 12-hour work-day, Marx
figured that half was wasted.  If the conflict between those who work and those who don't
disappeared, work would produce surplus in 6 hours, leaving 6 other hours free -- which Marx
called the "true richness."  I have heard the "philosophizing" version before, but I'm not sure
where that came from.  I doubt Marx truly imagined that free time would turn the whole
proletariat into philosophers or intellectuals.

In a quick browse, I'm having trouble locating a free online easily searchable version in English.
See Wikipedia for the publishing history, and from there somebody may be able to find
quotable hard copy for you.

Oh, you're probably thinking I have the 1910 German version at hand.  Sorry, no.  I did find this
in English:

https://www.nyu.edu/projects/ollman/docs/vision_of_communism.php

The quote is incomplete, and the footnote does not indicate whose translation it is.  (Perhaps
the author's -- Bertell Ollman.)

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)