[PW] "Explore, Dream, Discover" Quote (Quotation Query #746)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at yale.edu
Sun May 8 13:48:40 PDT 2016

The following is a very popular quote routinely misattributed to Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Garson O'Toole, in a characteristically brilliant article on his great quoteinvestigator.com website, has traced this quote back to H. Jackson Brown, Jr.'s book P.S. I Love You (1990).  Brown credited it to his mother.

Can anyone help me determine the name of Brown's mother and her birth/death dates?

Fred Shapiro