[PW] J. M. Coetzee Quote (Quotation Query #743)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at yale.edu
Wed May 4 14:00:45 PDT 2016

Does anyone have ready access to the first edition (1980) of J. M. Coetzee's book, Waiting for the Barbarians?  If so, I would be grateful for verification of the last lines of the book, which I believe are "This is not the scene I dreamed of.  Like much else nowadays I leave it feeling stupid, like a man who lost his way long ago but presses along a road that may lead nowhere."  I need to verify the exact wording and punctuation and what is the number of the chapter in which it appears.

Fred Shapiro