[PW] ? Theo Dahl accident

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 9 18:35:05 PDT 2016

On 9 Jul 2016 at 16:40, Ellen Ehrig wrote:

> I am trying to find information about the accident (and any information
> about the taxi driver, such as his name and whether he was charged with
> anything ) in which 4 month old Theo Dahl was hurt:

Fulton postcards!  Fulton postcards!  Time to rave about that magnificent free site
<http://www.fultonhistory.com> that has grown into one of the best newspaper archive sites:
mostly NY state and surrounding region, but now also some large metro dailies like Chicago
Tribune.  (Yeah, I know, "Fulton postcards" is not an intuitive name for a newspaper archive,
but remember it!)

Since this was the son of Roald Dahl and Patricia Neal, there should be quite a bit of news
coverage.  On a very brief search I saw some sequel feature articles as late as 1988,
mentioning that Theo had 8 operations to mitigate the lasting damage.  He suffered
hydroencephalitis (water on the brain), threatening retardation, as well as temporary
blindness.

PW won't accept attachments, so here is a transcription from the Schenectady Gazette of 6
Dec 1960, p. 2 (complete article) that seems to contain all the details you are looking for:

---

Actress' Baby
Hit by Taxi

NEW YORK. Dec. 5 (AP)-The infant son of actress Patricia Neal and short story writer
Roald Dahl was Injured critically today when a taxicab struck his carriage.

A governess. Susan Denson, was wheeling the child, Theo, 4 months, across 82nd street at
Madison avenue when the accident occurred. The governess was not injured. Police said the
impact knocked the carriage across the street and against the rear wheel of a bus.

The cabbie, Irving Marcus. 60. of Flushing. Queens, was charged with passing a red light.
---

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)