[PW] Request help tracing Agatha Christie quotation in The Sunday Times (London) and Reader's Digest 1952

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 11:54:12 PDT 2016

Thanks to Dana Dalrymple I now have a scan of the quotation instance
attributed to Agatha Christie in "Reader's Digest". The target text
was on page 109 of the March 1952 issue instead of page 107 which was
specified by Google Books.

This illustrates another error type. The pagination algorithm employed
by Google Books is sometimes slightly inaccurate. The page number
provided differs by one or two from the correct page. Hence, it is
useful to examine neighboring pages when searching for matching text.

The "Reader's Digest" citation was the only one I have found that
mentioned "Alec de Montmorency, NANA" (probably a pen name) as the
propagator of the anecdote.

Within a week or two I will create an entry for the Quote Investigator
website with an acknowledgement to the fine people who helped.

Garson