[PW] Historical time zones in the US

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 22:04:10 PDT 2016

On 19 Aug 2016 at 8:53, John Cowan wrote:

> Kiribati ... In 1995 the latter two zones were changed... giving the
> whole country a single date and eliminating the problem that the
> workweek for any national-scale company was effectively only four days.

Some critics maintain this was done not so much to unify the country in one time zone, but to
jut much of the country across the international dateline so that it is the first to see the
sunrise, and most importantly to be the first to see the new millennium.  That was expected
to draw significant tourist dollars from people who wanted bragging rights.  (And some were
quite miffed to find out that Millennium Island is uninhabited and has no accommodations.)

The planet doesn't care.  The universe doesn't care.  It's just more weirdness of the human
species.  Date lines, time zones, calendars, even national boundaries exist only in our heads
-- and all of them keep shifting.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)