[PW] Historical time zones in the US

Mark Carson mahousu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:16:49 PDT 2016

IANA maintains a time zone database at http://www.iana.org/time-zones. This
attempts to cover worldwide time zone and daylight savings time assignments
almost from their very start - the earliest entries I saw in a quick glance
through were from 1916.

The database itself is a little hard to read, since it's designed to be
read by computer programs and not humans. But it's filled with informative
comments, which include many references to historical sources.

I looked through the "northamerica" portion of the database, and didn't see
any changes listed for Tennessee, other than the DST changes that affected
all of the U.S. That portion only goes back to 1920, though, so it's
possible there were earlier changes. It's also possible it's simply lacking
some information for the state.

Mark

Mark Carson     mahousu at gmail.com