[PW] Historical time zones in the US

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Aug 19 05:53:11 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Neil Radford <neil.radford at bigpond.com>
wrote:

I am reminded of a short story by James Thurber about why the International
> Date Line goes down through the Pacific Ocean. If it went through a
> country, it would inevitably go through a city or town and half the
> residents would think it was Monday and the other half would think it was
> Tuesday.

That was actually true for many years.  The nation of Kiribati's western
islands were in time zone GMT+12 and the eastern islands in GMT-11 and
GMT-10 since independence in 1979 (before that, the western islands were
British and the eastern ones American).  In 1995 the latter two zones were
changed to GMT+13 and GMT+14, giving the whole country a single date and
eliminating the problem that the workweek for any national-scale company
was effectively only four days.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Barry thirteen gules and argent on a canton azure fifty mullets of five
points of the second,  six, five, six, five, six, five, six, five, and six.
        --blazoning the U.S. flag