[PW] Historical time zones in the US

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:32:00 PDT 2016

Hi All--
In 1919 the border separating the Eastern and Central timezones was indeed
different from today's, which currently goes through Chattanooga.  The
source I have states that the boundary was moved to include additional
counties in Tennessee in 1947, but does not specify exactly which counties
those were. The same source also includes a map, showing the 1919 border
striking smack through the middle of Bristol, but not in any detail. The
map seems to indicate that the border was moved in 1963, contradicting the
"additional counties" statement above. The entry for Tennessee says, "Check
with local authorities."  I assume you are one of the local authorities.
;-)

The source is *Time Changes in the USA*, by Doris Chase Doane, a wire-bound
publication "distributed by Professional Astrologers Incorporated" of
Hollywood, California. It's copyrighted 1966, Graphic Arts Press, Downey,
California. I'm not an astrologer (nor do I play one on TV), but I'm
inclined to think that they're a group who would tend to believe that time
changes ought to be carefully tracked.

Bristol VA has several footnotes indicating that from 1962-1965 it did not
observe DST; from 1946 to 1961, the entire state did not observe DST. For
Tennessee, it states that DST was "not observed state-wide," other than by
local ordnance, from 1946 to 1965. In addition, it also states for 1946
that "EST adopted year round for 1946 only in:" , then lists a number of
cities, including Bristol TN.  There are a couple of further items for that
city:

1)  1883 November 18:  Noon, Central Standard Time (90° W) adopted, except
borderline communities of Bristol, Elizabethtown, Erwin and Johnson City,
on EST (75° W).

2)  1941 July 21:  All State offices on CST (90° W); compliance voluntary
for citizenship

Here's the exact text for the 1947 boundary move:

1947 September 28: Official EST boundary moved west to include additional
portions of Eastern Tennessee**
** Check with local authorities.

If you'd like, contact me off list and I'll send you scans of the pertinent
pages.

Metta,
Ivan

Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours