[PW] photographs of black news-makers

Hunt, Kelley Kelley.Hunt at countylibrary.org
Wed Aug 10 10:58:14 PDT 2016

Sometimes you can find very good reproductions of photographs that were published with newspaper articles in the www.hathitrust.org archives- usually reprinted in magazines from the same era.
Good luck on your search.

Kelley

-----Original Message-----
From: Project-Wombat-Open [mailto:project-wombat-open-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org] On Behalf Of Donna Halper
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:24 PM
To: list at project-wombat.org
Subject: [PW] photographs of black news-makers

This is purely for my own research, so, there's no hurry.  I am working on a conference paper and finding it very difficult to locate photographs of certain black news-makers from the 1920s-1930s. The news industry was segregated, sad to say, and black reporters generally worked for the black press; but many of those papers are now defunct, or under new ownership, and their photo files have either vanished or were never preserved. I can easily find the photos on microfilm, but they are usually of very poor quality and would not look good in a presentation.

I especially need some photos that appeared in the Chicago Defender & Pittsburgh Courier in the mid-to-late 1930s, but neither newspaper has saved the originals; nor does the Library of Congress or the Chicago Public Library own copies-- I've checked (both online, and by calling their archivists). Any ideas about whether a repository for news photos from the black newspapers and magazines exists anywhere? Thanks for any suggestions.

Donna L. Halper, PhD