[PW] simolean

brian whatcott betwys1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 12:25:57 PDT 2016

A  "six-penny bit" was a UK coin formerly made of silver. It was often
called a "simon", and later a "tanner"
a usage which persisted into the 20th century. Apparently "simon"
signified a dollar in American slang in
the 19th century.  Some dictionaries suggest a macaronic elision of
simon and napoleon, a french coin
as the source of this neologism. An internet search notes simoleon as a
newspaper usage in 1883.

Brian W