[PW] Stumper: food donations from a school drive comes to narrator's house?

Aarene Storms astorms at kcls.org
Tue Sep 29 14:49:13 PDT 2015

Here's a stumper that came to me via Facebook!  I've set my colleagues at the library on it, but thus far, no joy.

And so, I turn to the Wombats:

I'm wondering if any of you awesome people can help me figure out the title and/or author of a book. I can't remember it for the life of me. I *think* it's Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech but I really don't know. It is about a middle-school level book, I *think*. I remember reading it in sixth grade at least.
The scene that I remember the most is around Thanksgiving or Christmas. The main character is a girl in about third or fourth grade and she and her classmates (Girl Scout Troop? Volunteer Organization?) are handing out donations from a food drive. A mom in the group is driving everyone around and to hand out the deliveries, and the last house they go to is the narrator's. The author describes entering the neighborhood, turning on to her street, etc. When they get to her house, the narrator says something like, "This is my house." And the mom driving everyone says something like, "Oh honey..." and everyone is really uncomfortable. The narrator's mom then opens the front door and they give her the basket of Thanksgiving/Christmas food/whatever.

There's a sort-of similar scene in Daniel Pinkwater's story Wingman but that one happens in a classroom.

Thoughts?

--Aarene
The events may not have happened; still, the story is true.  --R. Silvern

Aarene Storms, youth services librarian
Richmond Beach and Lake Forest Park Libraries, KCLS   astorms at kcls.org<mailto:astorms at kcls.org>
Do you have SEX in your library?  If not, why not?  Read the SITL book blog:  www.sexinthelibrary.blogspot.com<http://www.sexinthelibrary.blogspot.com/>