[PW] Madams Western U.S. Late 19th Century

Elizabeth Barksdale ebarksdale at udallas.edu
Fri Sep 11 12:27:55 PDT 2015

Hi, I am trying to help a senior thesis student at a university, but I'm
seeing some of her difficulties. Primary source documents seem difficult to
find. She's looked in JSTOR, America History and Life, American West, and
online newspaper collections. I've looked around in these places too. She's
got books, but they don't have many snippets of primary source quotations
etc. I'm definitely going to keep trying to help her, but trying out
Collective Wisdom too. Is there archival or primary source resources we're
missing? Many thanks if you can provide any ideas! Here is the student's
topic:

My topic is the social and economic role of madams and high-end prostitutes
in the American west during the late 19th century. I am looking for things
such as journals, newspaper articles, autobiographies, etc. Some of the
specific individuals that I am looking into are Fannie Porter, Pearl De
Vere, Jennie Rogers, Mary Ellen Pleasant, Mollie May, Belle Cora.   I am
focusing on TX, CA, CO, and AZ.

--
Liz Barksdale
Head Reference Librarian