[PW] Request Mag of Fantasy and SF 1962: Quote: That's not writing--that's type-writing!" Truman Capote

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Wed Sep 9 06:57:48 PDT 2015

The quotation is indeed in the introduction to the (reprint) in the
issue of TC's story "Master Misery," and it is exactly as you have it,
except that the word "type" (first half of "type-writer") is in
italics.

While story introductions in F&SF are/were (to my memory) never
bylined, it's my understanding/firm belief that such were always
written by the editor.  In this case, I'm even more certain, since the
editor (formally "Executive Editor") at the time was Avram Danvidson,
whose prose style is unmistakable.

I'll send you a copy of the entire page offlist; enjoy...

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu