[PW] identifying a snake

Petter Naess petter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 05:33:00 PDT 2015

I'm trying to identify a green and black striped snake with a distinctive y
shape on its head, native to South Sudan, and am at a loss as to how to go
about this systematically (I guess the same taxonomic challenge pertains
whenever trying to identify a plant, insect, bird, or natural object, ie.
whether to start with color, shape, habitat etc.)  I've searched the web
and also browsed Chris Matsson's "New Encyclopedia of Snakes", but no
matches so far. I have a photo of the snake, but I assume attachments
cannot be submitted to wombat (I tried!) - so if anyone is familiar with
snakes of sudan, please have a look:
http://imgur.com/H5jStDT

Grateful for any suggestions about what snake this is, or about how to find
it.

Best, Petter
--
Petter Næss