[PW] Source of "Before you speak to me about your religion"

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:41:56 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Jeanne Schramm
<jeanne.schramm at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a popular sentiment making the rounds, attributed to former Mayor
> and current Senator Corey Booker. It begins:
> “Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you
> treat other people. Before you tell me how much you love your God, show me
> in how much you love all His children.”
>       Some sources suggest that this is from "The Quotable Scouter: Moral
> inspiration for scouts of all ages."
>      Does anyone have information as to when it first appeared as having
> been written by Booker?          J. V. Schramm

Don't know if it's the first appearance, but here's a Facebook post
from 2010. Note that he wrote "her" children!

https://www.facebook.com/corybooker/posts/109821842378393

Don’t speak to me about your religion; first show it to me in how you
treat other people. Don't tell me how much you love your God; show me
in how much you love all her children. Don't preach to me your passion
for your faith; teach me through your compassion for your neighbors.
In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as
in how you choose to live and give.