[PW] Children's SF book or short story

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Wed Nov 18 06:48:31 PST 2015

I'm out there (or in here, anyway), but I'm afraid I don't know the
story.  I second all of John Cowan's points on what is is not,
however.

I can also eliminate a few more "hot world juvenile sf novels" -- it's
not FIVE AGAINST VENUS or BATTLE ON MERCURY or Heinlein's "Tenderfoot
in Space" (which takes place on a junglish Venus).  It's also not
ALPHA CENTAURI OR DIE or ALPHA YES, TERRA NO (nor is it RECRUIT FOR
ANDROMEDA, a title which I thought might be misremembered as an
"alpha" word, and the "recruit" part sounded promising).

I don't think it's any of the Winston SF Juvenile series, which are
probably the best remembered and most widely read juvenile sf novels
of the 1950s/1960s period and still popular into the 1970s and beyond.
I'm almost positive it's not anything by Andre Norton, probably the
most popular writer of young adult sf of the period.  That still
leaves a lot of possible novels (that I haven't read) and even more
short stories.

I posted the query on one of my other lists and will report back if
anyone recognizes it.  Sorry,

Dennis Lien / U of Minnesota Libraries (retired) /  d-lien at umn.edu