[PW] Looking for local cable TV channel offerings from 1985

Todd Mason foxbrick at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 18:00:05 PST 2015

It will be many of them, but the newspaper wasn't required, by any means, to carry them all (in 1985, our local Fairfax, VA, system had about 100 channels, a big chunk hyperlocal)...but that might be the best likely-to-be-acquired version of the answer.

Todd Mason

On Monday, November 9, 2015 5:34 PM, Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:
On 11/9/2015 3:16 PM, Erin Johnson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We had a reference question at the desk today that we cannot make heads or
> tales of, a patron asked for the Cablevision New Milford (CT) list of
> available channels from December 1st 1985.

Unless I'm wrong, Cablevision back then served the Danbury metro area,
including New Milford, and it had little competition.  In fact, it was
the cable provider in Stamford and most other cities in CT. Any
newspaper's TV listings from December 1, 1985 (a Sunday) would thus tell
you which channels were available to local viewers. From what I can see
in a Stamford newspaper, in late November/early December, Cablevision
offered A&E, Bravo, HBO, Cinemax, the MSG (Madison Square Garden)
channel, Showtime, TBS, The Movie Channel, USA Network, Cablevision News
(a local channel), WHT (a subscription only movie channel), Cable News
Network (CNN), MTV, Sportschannel (SPC), SPN (later known as ESPN),
Playboy Channel, Weather Channel, Country Music TV, C-Span, Nashville
Network, Disney Channel, Financial News Network, Lifetime, Christian
Broadcasting, and several super-stations including WTBS in Atlanta and
WSBK in Boston.

Donna L. Halper, PhD
your friendly media historian

Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-Open