[PW] Need source for anti-war quotation Albert Einstein

danjbye at gmail.com danjbye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 00:05:05 PST 2015

I've got a copy of "Ideas and Opinions" by  Albert Einstein, which is based on "Mein Weltbild" (1953), edited by Carl Seelig, and other Einstein collections. "New translations and revisions by Sonja Benjamin".  It's a 2005 reprint by Souvenir Press  of a 1973 Souvenir Press edition of a 1954 collection.  ISBN 0283647253.

On p.165-166 is a section headed "On the abolition of the threat of war", a note to which reads

"Written September 20, 1952. Published in Japanese magazine, Kaizo (Tokyo), Autumn, 1952."

"My part in producing the atomic bomb consisted in a single act: I signed a letter to President Roosevelt, pressing the need for experiments on a large scale in order to explore the possibilities for the production of an atomic bomb.

I was fully aware of the terrible danger of mankind in case this attempt succeeded. But the likelihood that the Germans were working on the same problem with a chance of succeeding forced me to this step.   I could do nothing else although I have always been a committed pacifist. To my mind, to kill in war is not a whit better than to commit ordinary murder." (p165).

I've got an English translation of Mein Weltbild somewhere, so will check in that later to confirm earlier usage.    Maybe he used the line more than once?

Dan

Dan J Bye
Sheffield Hallam University

Sent from Mail for Windows 10