[PW] Most Notable Quotations of 2015 So Far?

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Wed Nov 4 16:47:57 PST 2015

I think Justice Kennedy's closing paragraph on the same-sex ruling still holds up as a most notable quotation of the year:
No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed. It is so ordered.

Perhaps the most quoted line from Pope Francis' 'Laudato si' is:, “I urgently appeal, then, for a new dialogue about how we are shaping the future of our planet. We need a conversation which includes everyone, since the environmental challenge we are undergoing, and its human roots, concern and affect us all.”

If not that, then, perhaps: “What kind of world do we want to leave to those who come after us, to children who are now growing up?”

John Henderson
Ithaca College Library