[PW] identifying a snake

Kay Lancaster kay at hub.fern.com
Sun Nov 1 08:52:56 PST 2015

On Sunday 2015-11-01 01:09, Petter Naess wrote:

> Thank you Kay, I'm almost certain that is correct, I think the required
> grain of salt is really quite tiny! And am very grateful to know about the
> "reptile database," what a resource!
> Petter

I'm not sure why this took so long to post, because I wrote and
sent it about 9 hours previously. Oh well.

Here's why I'm less than sure of that id:
1) Your specimen appears quite gracile, while the photographed
specimens on the web appear fairly "stout" -- not gracile.
2) The reported maximum length is 75 cm; average specimen seems
to be 30-60 cm
3) Color and banding in snakes can be variable.  Here, for
instance, is the US Armed Forces photo:
http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/files/Living_Hazards/C1RESIMU.jpg
4) There is at least one other green snake in Sudan, Philothamnus
angolensis, growing to a maximum of 1.2 m, averaging around 1.
http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/reptiles/squamata/serpentes/colubridae/philothamnus_angolensis.htm
The photos I've found of this species appear more gracile.
5) Photo identifications are always tricky.  In my own field of
botany, there are many, many plants that I refuse to even try to
id from a photo -- you just can't see what you need to see to
give a firm id.

Kay