[PW] three quotations

Jerilyn Marshall jerilyn.marshall at uni.edu
Sun May 24 11:32:30 PDT 2015

In that link from Internet Archive, the quote in question here is not being
attributed to Turgenev. This book appears to have snippets from other
works. There are several on that page from *Talks with Tolstoi* by A. B.
Goldenveizer (1923). The Tolstoy quote comes just below, and in the next
snippet after, the part about Turgenev.

Meanwhile, it may not sound like a Tolstoy construction... but remember
this is supposedly quoting something he said, not wrote. I'm sure that he
originally said it in Russian, not English. It could be a paraphrase, or
not translated word for work. It's also quite possible that he spoke
differently than he wrote. I know that I do!

Just some thoughts,
Jerilyn

---

Message: 3